Great to prepare with the kids!
Prep: 45 mins – 55 mins
• 250g mixed dried fruits
• grated zest and juice 1 medium orange
• 175g softened butter
• 175g golden caster sugar
• 3 eggs, beaten
• 300g self-raising flour
• 1 tsp mixed spice
• ½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
• 5 tbsp milk
• 175g marzipan
• 200g icing sugar
• 2 tbsp orange juice for mixing
• mini eggs
1. Tip the fruit into a bowl, add the zest and juice and microwave on medium for 2 minutes (or leave to soak for 1 hour). Line 12 deep muffin tins with paper muffin cases.
2. Preheat the oven to fan 180C/ 160C/gas 4. Beat together the butter, sugar, eggs, flour, spices and milk until light and fluffy (about 3-5 minutes) – use a wooden spoon or hand held mixer. Stir the fruit in well.
3. Half fill the muffin cases with the mixture. Divide the marzipan into 12 equal pieces, roll into balls, then flatten with your thumb to the size of the muffin cases. Put one into each muffin case and spoon the rest of the mixture over it. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until risen, golden and firm to the touch. Leave to cool.
4. Beat together the icing sugar and orange juice to make icing thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Drizzle over the muffins and top with a cluster of eggs. Leave to set. Best eaten within a day of making.